German | Dutch | Norwegian | Yiddish
Language requirements for graduate degrees
How the graduate reading proficiency requirement for German may be fulfilled:
- Completion of G492 with a grade of B (i.e., 3.0, not B-) or higher.
NOTE: Completion of G491 with a grade of B or higher is a prerequisite for G492. This prerequisite will be waived on the basis of:
- achievement of a score of 20 or higher on Form A of the *GSFLE or a score of 11 or higher on Form B of the GSFLE, or
- completion with a grade of B or higher of any of the following courses at IU: German G300, G330, G332, G334, G362, or G363.
- Achievement of a score of 26 or higher on Form A of the *GSFLE or a score of 15 or higher on Form B of the GSFLE.
*NOTE: The GSFLE is offered through BEST in Eigenmann Hall, Suite 324 West (telephone 812-855-1595/https://iubest.indiana.edu/services/testing/gsfle.html ) and requires preregistration; this exam can be taken at most twice; Form A, the first time; Form B, the second time.
- Completion with a grade of B or higher of any of the following courses at IU: German G400, G403, G404, G415, G416, G448, G451, G458, or G464
- Completion with a grade of B or higher of a pre-approved IU Germanic Studies course numbered 500 or above involving extensive reading of academic German prose.
- Completion of a B.A. degree with a major in Germanic studies at an accredited institution or completion of an M.A. degree in Germanic studies at an accredited institution.
- Completion of a university-preparatory secondary degree in a German-speaking country (Abitur or Matura) or the Zwischenprüfung or a tertiary degree at a German-speaking university.