The Bachelor of Arts in Germanic Studies offers a full curriculum, including German language, linguistics, literature, and culture, as well as courses in Dutch, Yiddish, and Norwegian. Faculty members teach at all levels, and class sizes are moderate-to-small. There are many opportunities to work directly with faculty, including our departmental honors program.
Germanic Studies B.A.
Is Germanic Studies for you?
The Germanic Studies major attracts students from a variety of backgrounds and interests. They typically have some of the following qualities:
- Aspire to develop proficiency in German or another Germanic language
- Interest in the language and culture of Germany or other countries in the Germanic cultural zone (such as Switzerland and Austria)
- Appreciation for the diversity of world cultures
- Affinity for learning new languages and linguistic structures
- Wish to make overseas study a significant part of their undergraduate education
- Intellectual curiosity and imagination
- Desire to learn more about the largest economy in the European Union